Printing

I have spent most of my time on this aspect of project five as I have found it really enjoyable, and there are so many possibilities from varying the printing block properties, the medium used to apply the print and how thickly it is applied, and the properties of the paper or fabric. My initial prints were quite haphazard as I was learning the basics.  I started by printing with woodblocks I bought at the Stitch and Craft show, and found that liquid ink gave a paler print with a tendency to bleed in overinked areas. Tube acrylic with textile printing medium worked really nicely, and when mixed using a roller, interesting sculptural effects could be created and rolled gently onto the fabric. I tried roller printing where the inked rubber roller is rolled firmly across a woodblock before printing, and found this worked really well. I tried this with bottled ink too, which gave a ghost like quality to the printing. I tried overprinting with different colours and techniques, and again practised printing with my lino cuts based on Beverley Minster.

I also tried printing with ormaline mixed with bronze powders onto black cotton, which was very effective. On the left is a print from my own linocut, and on the right I made a block by crocheting string and glueing it to a hardboard backing.

I then moved onto monotype and monoprints using a piece of glass from a clip frame with masking tape around the edges. Tube acrylic with textile medium gave the best, clearest results, and I particularly liked the sample on the left created by drawing with my finger in the paint before transfer onto paper. I used a grouting tool on the right sample, overprinted with liquid ink and a woodblock, which didn’t work at all.

Monoprinting is done by making marks on the reverse of the paper whilst it is laid over an inked plate. This was a useful technique to explore, but I think I prefer the control of monotyping, where you are manipulating the ink before applying the paper.

Over two of my monotype prints, I printed with hardboard stamps made with different crochet designs, and string applied loosely as it is.

I have also made blocks from erasers, and fun foam glued to hardboard. This is my favourite piece printed frm erasers, based on the view of houses stacked on the hillside, against the new tall houses of the Olympic sailing village on my approach to work.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s